We are well on our way into the New Year and about a week into our New Year’s Resolutions. This time of year can be stressful for some when trying to stick to a weight loss plan while staying on a tight budget. I decided to take a different route for my resolution this year and resolve to improve my impact on the environment, however small it may be, I know my effort counts.
By focusing on what I can do for the environment, and more specifically being more conscious about the amount of trash I produce from single use items such as Starbucks cups, to go containers and other plastic packaging, the feeling of improvement is immediate and gratifying.
If we all try to do just one thing to improve our impact on the environment it will make a difference. As a member of the Eco Care Committee for East West Destination Hospitality we seek to invoke that mentality in not only our fellow employees but also our guests and homeowners. Here are some of my fellow committee members resolutions to help inspire you to make a difference.
- Reduce personal Carbon Footprint by driving personal vehicles less and using alternative forms of transportation
- Replace drafty sliding door to reduce electric consumption
- Turn off the water while brushing teeth to reduce water use
- Teaching kids to close the door behind them when the go outside to play to reduce energy waste
- Reducing water consumption in 2017, as water conservation is always paramount in our dry state
- Education. Continuing to educate not only staff but guests as well on the importance of recycling even in small amounts. Also spreading the importance of recycling to our youth. Check out Walking Mountains Science Center page for programs to save energy and money Energy Smart Colorado
- Always remembering to bring reusable bags when shopping
- Unplug gadgets from the wall when they are not being used
- Eat less meat, due to the negative impact that meat production has on the environment check out this article for more info and also support local sustainable meat companies such as Colorado Meat Company
- Educating family members regarding reusing and learning what should be recycled
If you want to learn more about how you can make a difference in the environmental world, and even save money doing it, check out